Thursday, January 4, 2007

Letter from a Lost Mexican - Nicole Diaz, Nosotras, Smith College

Letter from a Lost Mexican
By: Nicole Diaz

I am from mamá, papá, mis abuelos, tíos y primos.
I am from backyard barbecues, fajitas, tortillas, frijoles, and kids
running wild.
I am from New Years with the family playing chalupa and dominós.
I am from "Yes Sir" and "No Ma'am".
I am from respect your elders and don't talk back.
I am from early Sunday morning services.

I am from enchiladas, carne guisada, and calabacita.
I am from tamaladas.
I am from drinking chocolate mexicano with Nana.
I am from hot summers, la venta, and raspas.
I am from loud guitarra music and spicy mole.

I am from the swaying hips of salsa and passion.
I am from barking dogs, clucking chickens, and stampeding cows.
I am from el rancho.
I am from backwoods driving and vacations in the hill country.
I am from Texas – but here is my home.

Written at the end of her first year at Smith College.

*Excerpt from Smith College's Voces Unidas, Volume 25, Issue 1, Oct. 2006.*

No comments: