Thursday, January 4, 2007

Latinos Unidos - Mayra Macias, MEChA de Yale

Latinos Unidos
By: Mayra Macías

Latinos Unidos jamás serán vencidos
A people united shall never be divided
I hear the chants of thousands forged into one
Creating a stronghold that shall not be undone
Together united for a common goal
Surpassing any differences our surfaces may show
Yet once again the moment’s gone we forget solidarity
Thinking that that’s it; I’ve done enough charity
And off we go again with our daily lives
Some killing their Latino brothers just for some dimes
At this moment now, our chant holds no truth
I’m Latino, your Latino and I’m killing you
I cock the gun and pull the trigger just for some colors
To represent my hood, I’ll kill my own brothers
To defend my street which is government’s property
But in the end it all makes sense, for I’m a product of hatred
The same people that destroyed my past helped create me
My whole identity has been shaped by those who know what’s best
By those who killed the Aztecs and gave the Mayans a rest
Simply because Quetzalcoatl’s lesser than God
And with that said Christians left us with crosses and raped our moms
They told them they were sinners and broke their self-esteem
It’s much easier to pacify them when they don’t see you as a fiend
Oh, the injustices continue as you may well know
Cali and Texas were stolen from Mexico
Fast forward to the future and what have we here
Undocumented immigrants accused of committing felonies
We must take this opportunity to show solidarity
Cuz despite the difference of our skin…we’re all a family

*Poem inspired by an immigrant march in Chicago

No comments: